Tips when selecting a new garage door for installation in Ypsilanti Michigan
Garage doors can take up most of your home’s facade and play an important role in your home’s curb appeal. Before you buy, educate yourself about the options, cost, and quality of insulation.
If you are in the market for a new garage door, it can be quite difficult to put together all the information you need to make an informed decision. Here is a quick guide to help you make the right choice selecting a new garage door for installation in Ypsilanti Michigan.
What to Consider when Choosing a New Garage door in Ypsilanti Michigan
Styles: Choose a style that matches the exterior of your home. Window panels are one way to add a personal touch to a garage door. Another way to add style is by the design of the panels. You can choose from three main types of panels:
• Flush Panels: These are flat, lightly textured panels that can be used to complement the perimeter wall without drawing too much attention to the door itself.
• Long relief panels: They give depth and distinction to the door while adding to the overall look of the house.
Construction and design: Steel garage doors are the most common and economical on the market. Most manufacturers offer several factory colors, and many models can be painted to match your home. You have the choice between three types of doors:
• Single-layer doors: Single-layer doors are stamped from a single sheet of galvanized steel. These are generally the most economical of all steel doors.
• Double-layer steel doors: They have a galvanized steel skin on the outside with a thick layer of polystyrene or polyurethane as a backing. The galvanization provides soundproofing and an additional insulating value to the door.
• Triple-layer doors: These are constructed from the same materials as double-layer doors, with the addition of galvanized skin on the inside to protect the polystyrene/polyurethane from damage. The extra layer of steel makes triple-layer doors the strongest, safest, and most soundproof of any garage door. They are also available with thicker insulation for a higher R-value (a measure of thermal resistance).
Type Of Garage Door Opening
Sectional garage door
There are two models of sectional garage doors:
The sectional ceiling door is robust, insulating, and secure. It consists of several panels opening in a hinged manner towards the ceiling. This will not clutter the sides of your garage. You will be able to install shelves there to optimize the space.
You can also choose the side sectional door which slides when opening either to the left or to the right as per your preference. Perfect if your garage ceiling is too low. It also can open only a small section as an entrance for pedestrians.
Roll-up garage door
With its rolling system identical to that of a sliding roller shutter, this door saves considerable space inside your garage. As the slats are rolled up in a safe, the ceiling and walls are free. It is the ideal model for small garages. Without overflow, the roll-up door is suitable for garages directly facing the street.
Up-and-over garage door
This traditional door consisting of a single panel is by far the cheapest model and suitable for small budgets. The side walls are left free for extra space. There is an overflow to the outside when opening this overhead garage door. Be careful to check the overall dimensions, because this door consists of a single panel.
Swing garage door
Swing garage doors are an economical choice. They are made up of two panels that open from the inside or the outside. The main drawback is that you need space. Avoid these types of doors if your garage faces the street or if your driveway is sloped.
The Garage Door Material.
Choosing the right door is above all choosing the right material, which is very important in many respects. There are all kinds of materials that are more or less resistant, insulating, or even ecological. Here are the main types.
Steel: Steel is the most popular material in Ypsilanti Michigan with many options for colors, prices, and insulation. The main advantage of the steel door is its strength and durability. The steel doors are very resistant, which will allow you to guard against intrusions or theft as well as bad weather.
Aluminium: The aluminium door is an interesting alternative when you want to open it by hand and not opt for a motorized mechanism. It’s a light material widely used for roller doors. It is also rust-resistant. But it is less robust than steel and can dent more easily.
Although the prices are high and the maintenance more important, wood has an attractive appearance. Carpentry repairs are also easier and less expensive. Finally, the durability of this natural insulator is quite impressive.
As earlier mentioned, the garage door occupies a large surface of your home, so its design and color will have a big impact on the appearance of your home. When choosing your garage door in Ypsilanti Michigan, consider the design, style, material, and price. Other features such as opener type, and security/safety features are equally important to consider.